Best Endocrinology Hospital in Kerala
The Super Specialty Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes in Ahalia Diabetes Hospital is the first of its kind in the city of Palakkad. The department is led by a well-qualified Endocrinologist trained in treating Diabetes and Endocrine disorders in Adults and Pediatric (Children) age group. Department is also ably supported by skilled Diabetes educator, Dietitian, Podiatry surgeon, Podiatry assistants, Nursing and Administrative staff. We aim to provide comprehensive state of the art care to all types of Diabetes and Endocrinology patients at affordable cost. The department of Endocrinology has outpatient and inpatient services which manage complicated Diabetic and Endocrine disorders.
What is Endocrinology?
It is the Super specialty branch that deals with disorders of Endocrine glands.
What is an Endocrine gland?
These are specialized glands in the body which secrete, chemical substance called Hormones, directly into the blood stream.
What is a Hormone?
Hormone is a chemical substance released from an endocrine gland which can affect various functions in the body. Hormone deficiency and Hormone excess can lead to various diseases.
Which is the most Endocrine disorder?
Diabetes Mellitus is the most common endocrine disorder. Being the most common endocrine disorder and also it can affect every organ system a comprehensive care led by an Endocrinologist is most warranted.
Is all Diabetes mellitus the same?
The most common Diabetes is TYPE-2 Diabetes mellitus (around 85-90%) which can be treated by Lifestyle modifications, tablets or Insulin on a case to case basis.Type-1 Diabetes mellitus commonly affects children, can affect adults also, should be treated by Insulin only.There also other forms of Diabetes mellitus which can affect from New born and young children, the treatment of which will be decided by a specialist.
What are the complications of Diabetes Mellitus?
- Heart attack, Heart failure and other cardiac problems
- Peripheral arterial disease and Leg amputations
- Diabetic Neuropathy (Nerves)
- Diabetic Nephropathy (Kidneys)
- Diabetic Retinopathy (Eyes)
- Infections and many other problems
Comprehensive Diabetes Care
We aim to provide specialized care in Diabetes management to prevent the onset and also to slow down the progression of various complications by a team effort led by our Endocrinologist.
Technology in Diabetes care
- Continuous glucose monitoring (CGMS)
- Insulin pumps
- Close monitoring with trained Diabetes educator
Other Endocrine Disorders
- Thyroid related disorders like Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism and Thyroid Cancer are evaluated and expertly managed.
- Obesity / Overweight
- Pituitary Disorder – Acromegaly, Pituitary tumor, Prolactin disorders.
- Adrenal Disorders – Adrenal insufficiency, Cushing’s syndrome, Steroid induced Diabetes.
- Bone – Osteoporosis and Fracture prevention, Hypercaclcemia (Raised calcium) Hypocalcemia (Low Calcium) and Low Vitamin-D.
- Female Reproductive Endocrinology – Menstrual problems, PCOS, Infertility (Due to hormone problems), Excess hair growth in females.
- Male Reproductive Endocrinology – Erectile dysfunction, Low Testosterone (Hypogonadism), Male infertility.
- Hypertension (Raised blood pressure) due to hormone disorder like Hyperaldosteronism, Pheocromocytoma
- Raised Cholesterol levels
Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology
- Problems with short height in growth (disorders or growth)
- Pubertal problems in children
- Disorders of Sexual differentiation
- Congenital Adrenal hyperplasia
- Thyroid problems in children
- Type 1 diabetes in children
- Insulin Pumps in Children with Type 1 Diabetes
Endocrine Disorders in Pregnancy
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Thyroid disorders
- Other Hormonal problems
Endocrine Disorders in New Born
- Neonatal Diabetes mellitus
- Congenital Hypothyroidism
- In born errors of metabolism